Habitat homebuyer families are very important. If your family is in need of decent, affordable housing, we encourage you to contact the affiliate in Chicagoland nearest where you live now. The website of that affiliate will explain their requirements for applying for a home and how to complete the application.
Prospective homeowners generally are required to be:
- Be citizens or legal residents.
- Provide proof of steady income.
- Have good credit.
- Earn a monthly income that falls within minimum and maximum limits as established by the particular Habitat affiliate.
- Sustain a savings account over a specified period of time.
All accepted families must:
- Invest sweat-equity hours in building his/her home and possibly other partner families.
- Make an affordable down payment.
- Make timely mortgage payments.
- Attend homebuyer education classes.