To apply for a home, we require that you attend a home orientation meeting. As of right now, we are holding our orientations through Zoom meetings. The dates and times for the orientations are listed below. Please look over all of the information provided and fill out the form at the bottom of the page and be sure to include the orientation date/time you would like to attend in the comment section of the form. We will then send you the Zoom link needed for the date you choose.
- January 27 at 6:30pm
- January 28 at 10:00am
- February 16 at 11:00am
- February 16 at 6:30pm
How are partner families selected?
A family selection committee selects homeowners based on their level of need, their willingness to become partners in the program, and their ability to repay the mortgage loan. The family selection committee follows the laws set by the Equal Housing Opportunity and every affiliate follows a nondiscriminatory policy of family selection that neither race nor religion is a factor in choosing the families who receive Habitat homes.
Is owning a Habitat home right for you?
Habitat for Humanity provides a hand up, not a hand out, to hard-working families with low incomes who are willing to partner with Habitat as homeowners. Our program is not a qiuck fix and, if you are chosen to be in the program, it typically takes up to 2 years to complete the program before being able to move into your home.
- Earn a sufficient income to pay an affordable mortgage on their future home
- Strengthen the local community by paying property taxes and utilities in addition to spending disposable income locally
- Invest 350-500 "sweat equity" hours into building their own home, other future homeowner's homes, and participating in financial and home maintenance classes
- Work for local employers
- Are required to keep homes maintained and in good condition in accordance with the Habitat covenants
- May not rent their homes to encourage safer, owner-occupied neighborhoods
The 3 criteria for becoming a Habitat Homeowner are need, ability to pay, and a willingness to partner.
Eligible applicants must:
- Be citizens or legal residents of the U.S.
- Must live or work in our territory (Southern Kane County)* for one year prior to applying
- Have a need for affordable housing due to unsafe living conditions, overcrowding, accessibility issues, or rent higher than 30% of income
- Ability to pay a mortgage by earning a stable income that falls within Habitat's income guidelines (guideline below)
- Have good credit with consistent payment history
- Not have bankruptcies in the past 3 years
- Work 350-500 "sweat equity" hours (hours have no monetary value towards the purchase of a home)
- Be willing share your story, speak with the media and churches, help at fundraising events, and share pictures of family on social media
- Take financial and homeowner maintenance classes
- Be willing to enter into a 30 year partnership with Fox Valley Habitat and adhere to covenant restrictions in all mortgage documents
What you would be responsible for as a homeowner:
- Mortgage on home
- Home Owner's Insurance
- All Utilities: Water, sewer, gas, electric, garbage, cable/internet
- All repairs to the home and appliances
- Responsible for maintaining the outside of home, grass/shrubs/trees, & snow removal
BASED ON HUD AREA MEDIAN INCOME OF $84,600
Household income based on the number of people living in the household. Income ranges are from HUD and change annually.
- If you have 2 or more incomes, add the 2 incomes to get a total for your family
- If you receive other income, such as Social Security, documented child support (court ordered), disability, or retirement, please add to get a total income for your household size
Income Guidelines Chart
| Minimum Income
30% of MFI
| Maximum Income
60% of MFI
*Our territory (Southern Kane County) for applicants is from Route 38 South to Route 71 and Route 59 West to Somonauk Road.
Orientation Dates - Please choose one date to attend & follow the directions highlighted in yellow:
- - January 27 at 6:30pm
- - January 28 at 10:00am
- - February 16 at 11:00am
- - February 16 at 6:30pm
To attend an orientation meeting and and have the option to receive an application, please fill out the form below with your information and be sure to include the orientation date/time you would like to attend in the comment section of the form. We will then send you the Zoom link for that date. Filling out this form is NOT an application.
After attending a meeting and requesting an application, you will have 30 days to complete and return it to us. Once we receive your application and process it, you will hear back from us within 30 days. Also please remember, if you are chosen to be in the program, it typically takes up to 2 years to complete the program before being able to move into your home.