DuPage Habitat owns the mortgage for all our homeowners.
Eligible applicants must...
- Be citizens or legal residents of the U.S. who live or work in DuPage County.
- Have a need for affordable housing. This is demonstrated by currently substandard or unsafe living conditions, overcrowding, accessibility issues or rent higher than 30% of income.
- Demonstrate a steady income that falls within
established guidelines, which vary depending on the number of people who will live in the home.
- Show good credit and consistent payment history on debts.
- Have no bankruptcies in the last three years.
- Be willing to enter into a 30-year partnership with DuPage Habitat. This includes a commitment to invest 250 hours (per applicant) of 'sweat equity' in classes and homebuilding, and to adhere to the covenant restrictions in the mortgage documents.