How to Become a Habitat for Humanity Homeowner
Thank you for your interest in becoming a Habitat homeowner. We believe that everyone should have a safe, affordable place to call home.
Families may find themselves in need of decent shelter due to a variety of circumstances — unpredictable rent increases, overcrowded living conditions, damaged or dilapidated structures, unsafe neighborhoods, or lack of access to land and affordable financing.
When families partner with Habitat, they start down a new path — one with far fewer barriers to a better, healthier, more financially stable life.
Habitat homeowners play a hands-on role in the homeownership process, beginning with the sweat equity hours they perform. To fulfill sweat equity hours, they work alongside volunteers to help build and renovate the places they will call home. Some also work toward this requirement by putting in time at our local Habitat ReStore, while others may serve on committees or help out at the Chicago South Suburbs Habitat office. Future homeowners are also required to attend financial education and budget-planning classes.
There are 5 basic qualifications for the Habitat for Humanity Chicago South Suburbs Homeownership Program.
- Demonstrate a Need for Housing: Is your current housing substandard or unsafe with many repairs needed? Overcrowded? Rent too high? Accessibility problems for yourself or a family member? If so, we may have a house for you in Chicago’s South Suburbs.
- Ability to Pay: Qualified families must be able to make timely monthly mortgage payments. Therefore, stability of your income should be reflected by past work history or other stable source of income.
- Ability to Partner: Prospective homeowners must INVEST a minimum of 250 hours of “sweat equity” for each applicant and co-applicant.
- Live or work in Chicago South Suburbs.
- Meet Income Guidelines: We work exclusively with individuals and families who have incomes falling within 30-60% of Area Median Income:
Family Income Guidelines
For more information, please contact:
Habitat for Humanity Chicago South Suburbs
7258 Benton Drive
Frankfort, IL 60423
For further information call: (630) 510-3737 ext. 315 or