Faith Build 2018
Please welcome our Faith Build 2018 family.
Carmen and her beautiful daughters broke ground in October of 2017 and construction is underway now!
Faith Build 2017
Rubi and her daughters had their dedication ceremony in December of 2017, and have since been settling into their beautiful, new home.
Welcome home Mata Family!
There is a serious problem with affordable housing in the Greater Aurora area. There are many working families that only make $22,000 to $45,000 despite having good jobs. Only because of their income level, families cannot qualify for a mortgage with a bank. Where can they go to have a rent payment they can afford? Unfortunately, they often have no choice but to turn to substandard rentals that are unhealthy and unsafe. According to USA Today, one in four families are paying 50% of their income on housing and utilities. These parents want a better life for their children, just like you. If they stay in their apartment they may endure mold, poor heat, rodents, high crime, no air conditioning, only one bedroom, intolerable neighbors, no garage, a landlord that won’t make necessary repairs and more. So they keep moving trying to find a better place to live. As a result, the children keep losing their friends with each move and they begin a downward spiral in moving from school to school. Sadly, for many of our Habitat families, it is even worse than this.
Fox Valley Habitat is a Christian housing ministry that believes in empowering working low-income families through home ownership. We have built 55 homes here in the Greater Aurora area and another 46 homes in Bolivia with our tithes to Habitat for Humanity International. By the end of 2017, we will have completed 60 homes! As a Christian nonprofit we believe in a hand-up, not a hand-out. That is why working with churches and people of faith is ideal to make a difference in the neighborhoods and churches where we live and work. There is great interest in Habitat for Humanity’s approach to this problem that has worked over 700,000 times successfully all over the world. Our alliance, along with 26 churches, worked together to build a home for Rubi Mata and her two daughters, and we will do the same for Carmen and her daughters in 2018. You may wonder, why bother, the problem is too big for you to fix. Together we may not be able to change the world but we will change someone’s world. Also because it is what God has asked us to do. Help us change our community one family at a time. Please make a contribution to Fox Valley Habitat for Humanity to transform lives and as Christians living out our faith to be the hands and feet of Christ.
1 John 3:16-18—If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has not pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love in word or speech, but in truth and action.
Advent Christian church
First Baptist Church
Fourth Street United Methodist
Our Lady of Mercy
St Marks Lutheran Church
Bethany Lutheran Church
Community United Methodist
Good Shepherd Lutheran
Grace United Methodist
Trinity Church of the Nazarene
Wesley United Methodist
St Katharine Drexel Catholic Church
AuSable Grove Presbyterian
Trinity Church United Methodist
Yorkville Congregational United Church
Thrivent Financial Corporate Sponsorship
Thrivent Financial is the only Fortune 500 not-for-profit and they are making a major impact in our own community by partnering with Fox Valley Habitat for Humanity and others around the world. Thrivent Financial is that kind of company that backs up their commitment with dollars to transform the lives of people needing a hand-up, not a hand-out.
Thrivent Financial continues to partner with us and has an impressive history with Fox Valley Habitat for Humanity. They have provided major funding contributions towards four homes in our past and that continues to transform the lives of each parent and their children through safe, affordable home ownership. This is the life changing legacy that Thrivent Financial is leaving on our community.
Here are staggering numbers from 2005 through 2015 as they impact the world:
- 4,819: Homes built, renovated or repaired. That means nearly 5,000 families worked alongside volunteers to build a brighter future for themselves and their family.
- 18,000 people have better lives because they have a safe, affordable place to call home.
- 673,281: Big-hearted volunteers putting their faith into action to love their neighbors around the corner and across the globe.
- 4.7 million: Volunteer hours donated by Thrivent members and others. That's equal to 543 years of continuous volunteer work. The amount of hugs given, prayers offered and relationships built cannot be measured.
- 43: The number of countries that Thrivent members and other volunteers built homes in and experienced the cultures of – including Asia, Canada, Central and South America, the Caribbean, Europe, the South Pacific, the United Kingdom and Africa – through the Thrivent Builds Worldwide program.
- 46: The number of states, plus the District of Columbia, in which families across the U.S. now have new or improved housing and the opportunity to create better futures thanks to Thrivent Builds.
- $213 million: Amount committed by Thrivent and Thrivent members to combat substandard housing and increase opportunity and self-reliance. That's a lot of sheetrock, paint, doors, insulation and other materials!
- This year alone, Thrivent and its members made a financial commitment of more than $12 million. This money goes toward funding the construction, rehabilitation or repair of 850 homes in the U.S. and up to 145 international and domestic trips across the U.S. and across the globe.
- Thrivent is the largest donor for Habitat for Humanity because we both believe in the same mission.
As mind boggling as this is, Thrivent Financial has committed to support the churches in Faith Build 2017 by providing matching funds up to $75,000 and again with another $75,000 in Faith Build 2018. Wow. This is Thrivent’s 5th and 6th home sponsorships! This is an incredible act of generosity to benefit each and every family. Helping working, low-income families move from substandard, inadequate rental apartments into beautiful home-ownership requires the generosity of others.
You might not be able to change the world, but you CAN change someone’s world. Would you or your company like to leave a lasting legacy? Call Jeff Barrett at 630-206-5030 to learn more.
If you would like to learn more about Thrivent Financial, please contact Matt Hutchison either by phone at 630-881-5821 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. His office is located at 123 W. Washington St., Suite 317, Oswego, IL 60543-8296.
If you would like to learn more about our Faith Build please contact Barb Zegiel at email@example.com or 630-206-5038.